In the beginning…
A member of the Zonta Club of Botany Bay, NSW Ann Selle designed the cushion in 1994 after hearing from a friend about the difficulty of recovering from breast surgery. A project that started out in one club was adopted by Zonta as a District project in 2002, and the Zonta Club of Melbourne on Yarra in 2003.
How does the cushion help?
Zonta Breast Care Cushion provides comfort to women (and men) in the post-operative phase of breast surgery. Cushions are supplied to most hospitals in each area and distributed by Breast Care Nurses. The breast care cushion aids recovery by allowing the woman to sit, sleep and rest comfortably, as well as by preventing hurt from bumps while walking around and any discomfort from wearing seat belts. (About 2% of breast cancers occur in men, and the Zonta Breast Care Cushion is certainly provided to men on request.)
How does the project work?
A Zonta Club undertakes to keep one or more hospitals in their area supplied with the Zonta Breast Care Cushions. Zonta Club Melbourne on Yarra makes the cushions from the beginning to end using the work of club members at friendly workshops held regularly at a member’s home. ZC MoY supplies the Epworth Hospital along with 6 other hospitals.
If you would like to know more about Breast Care Cushion Project, assist the club either by donating cash or materials, or volunteering at a workshop, please contact the Zonta Club Melbourne on Yarra.
- Clean and never used sewing materials
- Minimum length of fabric or ribbon – 1 metre
- Minimum length of ric-rac or lace – 0.5 metre
- 1 metre of 112 cm width fabric will make 3 cushions
- 100% soft cotton such as cotton lawn in light plain colours
Used to store the cushion and hold drainage tubes whilst in hospital. Tasteful and appealing fabric to brighten the recipient’s day
- 1 metre of 112 cm width fabric will make 2 bags
We will accept:
- Easy to sew fabrics – pure cotton, cotton/poly blend
- Patterned material – multi coloured, stripes, spots, floral etc
- Plain material that can be dressed up with ric-rac/lace
We can NOT accept:
- Polar fleece, Flannelette, woollen/wool blend, felt
- Jersey, velour, sheer fabrics, stretchy knit
- Slippery fabrics eg satin, polyester lining material
- Dull dark colours
- Children’s themes, Xmas theme
- Heavy furnishing fabric, canvas, rubber backed material
- Scraps of fabric
- 1 metre of ribbon is required per bag
- Ribbon width between 7mm and 10 mm
- Colours – pale pink, bright pink, red, white, teal, light yellow, golden yellow, blue, light green, purple,
- Ric-rac – colours – red, yellow, blue, pink
- Lace – various widths
- Lace – colours – white, off white
- Good quality all-purpose sewing thread in white, off white, light pink, light yellow, grey
- Elastic – 6mm width
- Pins and needles