1. What projects will the fundraiser support?
The Zonta Club of Melbourne on Yarra:
- makes breast care cushions for women recovering from breast cancer surgery in five local hospitals
- provides educational grants for girls who demonstrate leadership qualities in local community service
- assembles and distributes birthing kits for women in developing countries
- supports Zonta International projects in conjunction with the United Nations, to empower women and girls worldwide.
All funds raised will support these projects and enable us to consider new local community projects.
2. What sort of bags can I donate to Zonta?
For the 2019 sale we are accepting only women’s handbags, evening, clutch, designer, vintage, shoulder, tote, baskets, toilet bags, cosmetic bags, wallets and coin purses.
3. What quality of bag donations is acceptable?
Our preference is for good quality, pre loved bags that you would be happy to pass on to a friend. However, we will accept all bag donations and if they are not to the standard we require for re-sale, we will re-gift them to another charity e.g. Salvation Army ‘Cross roads’ Family Violence Services for Women in Melbourne, ‘Dress for Success’ and other community groups working with women.
4. How do I donate a bag to the sale?
Please phone 0478 803 667 to arrange collection or drop off. This number is also on the flyer advertising the event. Bag collection will be coordinated across Melbourne 2-3 times a month or more frequently, if we are overwhelmed with your generosity. NB: we would appreciate if you can please assist us by coordinating collection amongst your network of friends, family, colleagues, neighbours etc. before contacting us to arrange drop off or pick up.
5. What date and time is the Pre Loved Bag Sale?
A one-day sale on Saturday 30 March 2018, 11am-3pm – ample time for you and your friends’ to enjoy brunch beforehand or coffee afterwards, in nearby cafes in Bridge Road, Richmond.
6. Where is the venue?
The historic Richmond Town Hall, 333 Bridge Rd, Richmond, VIC was originally built in the Venetian Gothic Style in the 1890s. During the 1930s, when it became Richmond City Hall, the building’s façade received an Art Deco remodel.
7. Is there public transport near the venue?
Yes – the #48 and #75 tram stops in front of the Richmond Town Hall (stop 19) in Bridge Road. To return to the city for Flinders Station or Southern Cross – the tram stop is directly across the road.
8. Is there parking in the area?
Yes – parking is available in Bridge Rd and surrounding neighbourhood streets. However, parking cannot be guaranteed, as it is a busy commercial area on Saturday’s.
9. Can anyone attend the sale?
Yes, anyone and everyone who needs a handbag to either refresh their wardrobe for work, a special occasion (wedding, party, gala event, fancy dress etc), holiday, job interview or as a gift for a friend. Regardless of age, size, shape, ethnicity, religion, profession or employment status – a new handbag can make a difference to an outfit, look or simply a statement.
10. Is there wheelchair access?
Yes – the Richmond Town Hall is fully wheelchair accessible via a ramp at the entrance and then a lift to the first floor.
11. How many handbags will be on sale?
Approximately 800-1,000 pre-loved handbags of all types, sizes and colours. A great opportunity to be thrifty, recycle your former treasures and add a new bag to your wardrobe.
12. What price range will the bags be?
Depending on the quality of the bag – prices will range from $5 – $50. Some designer bags will be individually priced up to $100 and a number of new bags will be included in a raffle.
13. Are bag prices fixed?
Yes – Zonta Club of Melbourne on Yarra is a small, voluntary, not-for-profit organisation and all bags will be reasonably priced. The objective is to raise funds to support and expand club projects – to make ‘bags of difference’ for women and girls.
14. Will there be EFTPOS facilities?
Yes – you can pay using Eftpos or by cheque or with cash.
15. Will there be refreshments available?
Yes – Afternoon Tea/Coffee and sweet, savoury and gluten free slices will be for sale. All funds raised will support Zonta projects.
16. Will there be ongoing requests for bag donations?
Yes – marketing the event and requests for bag donations will continue until approximately 23 March. During this time we will provide regular reminders and updates on the Zonta Club of Melbourne website, FB, Instagram and through MailChimp. At all times we would appreciate if you can please ‘like’, ‘tag’ and ‘share’ the info and flyer with friends, family, colleagues, neighbours etc. – to both donate a handbag and attend the event.
17. Will photos of the bags be available to view?
Yes – from mid February we will ‘post’ photos of a selection of beautiful bags received, on the Zonta Club of Melbourne website, FB and Instagram.
18. Will we be advised of the funds raised?
Yes – we will post the total amount raised at the event on social media within 24 hours after the event.
19. Can I become a sponsor for the event?
Yes – we welcome any requests regarding sponsorship opportunities. If the objectives of Zonta align with your work ethics and the values of your company, and you would like to support a local community organisation committed to making ‘bags of difference’ for women and girls through service and advocacy, please call 0478 803 667 to discuss sponsorship options